Portbury, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near Wans Dyke, 1½ mile W of the river Avon, with a station on the G.W.R., 128 miles from London, and 6 WNW of Bristol. It occupies the site of a Roman station, where Roman coins, foundations of Roman villas, and other Roman relics have been found. It has a post office under Bristol; money order office, Pill; telegraph office at railway station. Acreage, 2906; population of the civil parish, 439; of the ecclesiastical, 516. There is a parish council consisting of five members. An Angustinian cell to Bromere Priory was here, and has left some vestiges. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chapel, with a fine tower; it has been well restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Portbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Portbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Portbury (St. Mary))
Online maps of Portbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.