Pointington or Poyntington, a parish in Somerset, adjacent to Dorset, 3 miles NNE of Sherborne station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Sherborne. Acreage, 1020; population, 135. The property belongs to Lord Willoughby de Broke. The old manor house was the residence of the Malets, and is a fine specimen of 15th-century architecture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is Norman, chiefly Decorated Early English, has a square tower with octagonal turret, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1867.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pointington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pointington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pointington (All Saints))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.