Pitney, a parish in Somerset, 2 miles NE of Langport station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Langport; telegraph office, Langport. Acreage, 1341; population, 306. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The parish is divided into two manors-Pitney Lortie and Pitney Weame-the former belonging to the Pyne family and the latter to the Duke of Devonshire. A fine tessellated pavement was discovered in 1828. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £120 with residence. The church is Later English, and consists of nave, S transept, and chancel, with porch and tower containing four bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pitney St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Pitney 1623-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pitney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pitney (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Pitney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.