Pitcombe, a tithing and a parish in Somerset. The tithing lies near the river Brue, 1½ mile from Bruton station on the G.W.R., and a quarter of a mile from Cole station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cole and the tithing of Hadspen, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Bruton, under Bath. Acreage, 2250; population of the civil parish, 388; of the ecclesiastical, 477. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Hadspen House is the seat of the Hobhouse family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, with the perpetual curacy of Wyke Champflower annexed; gross value, £150 with residence. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1858, and is in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pitcomb St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pitcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pitcomb (St. Leonard))
Online maps of Pitcombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.