Over Stowey, Somerset
Stowey, Over, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 8½ miles W by N of Bridgwater, and 4½ from Crowcombe station on the G.W.R. Post town, Nether Stowey, under Bridgwater. Acreage, 3697; population of the civil parish, 422; of the ecclesiastical, 433. The manor, with Quantock Lodge, belongs to the Stanley family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £180 with residence. The church is Late Pointed and good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Over Stowey St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Overstowey 1558-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Over Stowey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stowey, Over (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Over Stowey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.