Tydd St Giles, Cambridgeshire
Tydd St Giles, a parish, with part of Tydd Gote hamlet, in the Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, 2 miles SW of Tydd station on the M.R., and 5 NNW of Wisbech. It has a post office under Wisbech; money order and telegraph office, Tydd. Acreage, 4722 of land and 38 of water. The land is fenny, and has been greatly improved by the formation of the North Level Drain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church, restored in 1869, is Norman and Early English. A chapel of ease is at Foul Anchor, and was built in 1866. There are Baptist and Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tydd St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Wisbech|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tydd St Giles from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tydd (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tydd St Giles are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.