Nynehead or Ninehead, a parish, with a scattered village, in Somerset, on the river Tone, 1½ mile N by W of Wellington station on the G.W.R. Post town, Wellington. Acreage, 1597; population of the civil parish, 323; of the ecclesiastical, 314. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. Nynehead Cocrt is the seat of the Sanford family, and stands in a charming well-wooded. park. The river Tone traverses the park, and was artificially altered by the late Mr Sanford so as to form cascades and a beautiful lake. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £190 with residence. The church of All Saints comprises aisles and chancel, with porch and tower, and contains some handsome monuments to the Sanford family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ninehead All Saints|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Nynehead 1670-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nynehead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ninehead, or Nynehead (All Saints))
Online maps of Nynehead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.