Nyland, a quondam parish in Somerset, 3½ miles SE of Axbridge. It contains the tithing of Batcombe, belongs to Glastonbury, and is now extra-parochial, and assigned for ecclesiastical purposes to Draycot. An ancient church, called Andredesey, stood on an acclivity, and was given in 670 by Kenewalch, king of the West Saxons, to Glastonbury Abbey.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nyland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nyland)
Online maps of Nyland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.