UK Genealogy Archives logo

Trumpington, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Trumpington, a parish, with a village, in Cambridgeshire, 2½ miles S of Cambridge station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Cambridge; telegraph office, Grantchester. Acreage, 2312; population, 975. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Trumpington Hall and Anstey Hall are the chief residences, and there are several neat villas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is Early Decorated English, and contains a brass to Sir Roger de Trumpeton of 1289 date, which is the oldest brass but one in England. Professor Fawcett, postmaster-general and statesman, who died at Cambridge in 1884, is buried in the churchyard.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishTrumpington St. Mary and St. Michael 
HundredThriplow 
Poor Law unionChesterton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Trumpington from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Trumpington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictCambridge
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB2
Post TownCambridge