Norton Malreward, Somerset
Norton Malreward, a parish in Somerset, 1 mile from Pensford station on the G.W.R., and 5 miles S of Bristol. Post town, Pensford, under Bristol. Acreage, 1073; population, 114. Maes Knoll, on the E extremity of Dundry Hill, and on the line of Wans Dyke, is an ancient British camp, and a well-known landmark. Macs Knoll Tump, rising above the level of the interior of the camp, is a tumulus 390 feet long, 84 wide, and about 45 high. An ancient equestrian gold ring was exhumed, in accompaniment with bones, in a quarry on the manor farm. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £240 with residence. The charch was rebuilt in 1861, is in the Norman and Decorated English styles, and retains the tower and a Norman arch of the previous church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norton Malreward from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Norton-Malereward)
Online maps of Norton Malreward are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.