Northover, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the river Ivel and the Fosse Way, suburban to Ilchester, 5 miles from Martock station on the G.W.R., and 5½ from Yeovil station on the South-Western railway. Post town, Ilchester. Acreage, 435; population, 79. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £69 with residence. The church is old but good, and consists of nave, small transept, and chancel, with a tower; it was well restored in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Northover St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Northover from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Northover (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Northover are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.