North Wootton, Somerset
Wootton, North, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2 miles from West Pennard station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. It has a post office under Shepton Mallet; money order and telegraph office, Pilton. Acreage, 2129; population of the civil parish, 271; of the ecclesiastical, 295. The living is a vicarage, with Worminster chapelry, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Pilton. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Wootton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wootton, North)
Online maps of North Wootton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.