Newton St Loe, Somerset
Newton St Loe, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near a bridge over the river Avon, 2 miles WNW of Twerton station on the G.W.R., and 3½ W of Bath; is a beautiful place, and has a post office under Saltford; money order and telegraph office, Twerton-on-Avon. Acreage of parish, 1593; population, 392. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, Earl Temple. The church is Later English; has been restored and enlarged; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with two porches and a tower; has all its windows of stained glass; and contains some handsome tablets to the Langton family. The churchyard contains a handsome monument to Capt. E. G. Langton. A large club-room was erected in the village in 1886 by Earl Temple.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newton St. Loe Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton St Loe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton St. Loe (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Newton St Loe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.