Monksilver, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 3 miles W of Williton station on the G.W.R., and 6½ N by W of Wiveliscombe, and has a post office under Taunton; money order and telegraph office, Stogumber. The parish comprises 783 acres; population of the civil parish, 188; of the ecclesiastical, 191. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £230 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church comprises aisles and chancel, with porch and tower; it was restored in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Monksilver All Saints|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Monksilver from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Monksilver (All Saints))
Online maps of Monksilver are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.