Thriplow, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village lies 2¾ miles WSW of Whittlesford station on the G.E.R., and 7 NE by E of Royston. It has a post and money order office under Royston; telegraph office, Harston. Acreage of parish, 2501; population, 442. Thriplow Heath was a grand rendezvous of the army under Fairfax and Cromwell in July, 1647. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is an ancient building of flint and rubble in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thriplow All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thriplow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thriplow (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Thriplow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.