Milton Clevedon, Somerset
Milton Clevedon, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2 miles from Bruton station on the G.W.R., and 2 from Evercreech station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Evercreech. Acreage, 1243; population, 169. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £260. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is Perpendicular in style; was restored and enlarged in 1865; and consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with porch and tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clevedon Milton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Shepton-Mallet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milton Clevedon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Clevedon, Milton (St. James))
Online maps of Milton Clevedon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.