Middle Chinnock, Somerset
Chinnock, Middle, a parish in Somerset, on the river-Parrett, 3½ miles from Crewkerne station on the L. & S.W.R. In 1884 the parish of Middle Chinnock was amalgamated with West Chinnock; the entire parish is now known as West Chinnock. Post town, Ilminster; money order and telegraph office, Crewkerne. Population, 126. The living-is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £108. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is good, and was enlarged and restored in 1874, and again in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Middle Chinnock St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middle Chinnock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chinnock, Middle (St. Margaret))
Online maps of Middle Chinnock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.