Marston Magna, Somerset
Marston Magna, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Yeo, 2½ miles W of the boundary with Dorsetshire, and 4½ NE by N of Yeovil, and has a station, of the name of Marston, on the G.W.R., 128 from Lodon. It has a post office under Sherborne; money order office, Queen Camel; telegraph office, Eimpton. Acreage of parish, 1392; population, 272. Remains exist of an ancient building called Court Garden, with a moat and fish-ponds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £280. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol The church dates from the time of King Stephen; has a Lady chapel of some later period; comprises nave, aisle, and chance], with porch and tower; contains a Norman font, and is in good condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel and three almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marston Magna St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marston Magna from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marston Magna (St. Mary))
Online maps of Marston Magna are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.