UK Genealogy Archives logo

Thetford, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Thetford, a township and a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2½ miles S by W of Ely station on the G.E.R., with a post office under Ely; money order and telegraph office, Stretham. Acreage of the township, 1078; population, 221. The living is annexed to Stretham; net value, £72. The church was partly rebuilt in 1863.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Civil parishStretham 
HundredSouth Witchford 
Poor Law unionEly 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Thetford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Thetford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictEast Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB6
Post TownEly