Marston Biggott, Somerset
Marston Bigott, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Frome station on the G.W.R., and gives the title of Baron to the Earl of Cork. The parish contains also the hamlet of Gaer Hill, and its post town is Frome. Acreage, 2077; population of the civil parish, 264; of the ecclesiastical, with St Michael Gaer Hill, 440. The manor, with Marston House, belongs to the Earl of Cork, and came into the possession of his ancestors about 1630. A spot called Marston Moat was the site of a more ancient manor house. A field called Conqueror's Mead near that spot is said to have been the scene of a great battle in ancient times, and it has a barrow supposed to have been formed by interment of the slain. A bastard freestone abounds, and is used for mortar and for manure. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory, with St Michael Gaer Hill annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; joint net value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Cork. The church was rebuilt in 1789, is in the Norman style, consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower, and has beautiful stained glass windows. There is a chapel of ease at Gaer Hill.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marston-Bigott St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Frome|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marston Biggott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marston-Bigott (St. Leonard))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.