Marksbury, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 3¼ miles S of Keynsham station on the G.W.R., and 5½ WSW of Bath, and has a post office under Saltford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Timsbury. The parish contains also the hamlet of Houndstreet. Acreage, 1293; population, 234. Honndstreet Manor House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £195 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower, and a peal of six bells. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marksbury St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marksbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marksbury (St. Peter))
Online maps of Marksbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.