Lydeard St Lawrence, Somerset
Lydeard St Lawrence, a village and a parish in West Somerset, 8 miles NW of Taunton. Nearest railway station, Crowcombe on the G.W.R. Post town, Taunton; money order and telegraph office, Bishops Lydeard. Acreage of parish, 2748; population, 508. It has a parish council. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £340 with residence. The church of St Lawrence is a fine building consisting of chancel (Decorated), nave, and side aisle (Perpendicular), with fine tower and peal of bells. The parish is purely agricultural. There are two Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lydeard St. Lawrence|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lydeard St Lawrence from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lydeard (St. Lawrence))
Online maps of Lydeard St Lawrence are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.