Luxborough, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 6 miles SSW of Dunster station on the G.W.R.y and has a post office under Washford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Washford. Acreage of the civil parish, 3728; population, 346; of the ecclesiastical, with Cutcombe, 788. Chargot Lodge is the chief residence. Much of the surface is uncultivated land and lofty hills. Iron mines were formerly worked on Brendon Hill. An ancient British camp and many ancient barrows are also on that hill. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Cutcombe, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church comprises aisles and chancel, with a tower. There is a small Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Luxborough St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Luxborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Luxborough (St. Mary))
Online maps of Luxborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.