UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lovington, Somerset

Historical Description

Lovington, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, near the river Brue, 3 miles from Sparkford station on the G.W.R., and 10 SW of Wincanton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Castle Gary. Acreage, 828; population, 179. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is small, in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. There is a Bible Christian chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishLovington St. Thomas à Becket 
HundredCatsash 
Poor Law unionWincanton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lovington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Lovington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSouth Somerset
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA7
Post TownCastle Cary