Lopen, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2 miles S by E of South Petherton, and 4 NNW of Crewkcme station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Ilminster; money order and telegraph office, Hinton, St George. Acreage, 502; population, 292. The manor belongs to Earl Poulett. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £75. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient but good, has been enlarged, and comprises transept and chancel, with bell-turret. Flax-spinning and sail-cloth making are carried on.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lopen All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Lopen 1723-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lopen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lopen (All Saints))
Online maps of Lopen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.