Long Sutton, Somerset
Sutton, Long, a parish, with a village and two hamlets in Somerset, 4 miles from Langport station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Langport; telegraph office, Somerton. Acreage, 3851; population, 802. The parish has a council of six members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £150 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is in the Perpendicular style, with a lofty embattled tower; the pulpit dates from 1474. There are a Friends' meetinghouse and a temperance hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Sutton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of stone, in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with chapels, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches, and a lofty embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: the chancel has a modern arched roof panelled: the nave roof is a fine example of timber work of the Late Perpendicular period, and is divided into four bays by framed principals, richly moulded, with embattled tie-beams, supported on corbels and ornamented with quatrefoils and carved bosses, the space between the tie-beams and the roof being filled in with open tracery: the aisle roofs are of simpler character, but have moulded principals carried on corbels and brackets: the chancel has three sedilia and a piscina: the rood screen, an admirable example of Late Perpendicular woodwork, extends completely across the church, partially inclosing the chapels: the lower portion is panelled, and the upper part carved and groined, the ribs springing from slender shafts rising from the base: the frieze is divided by mouldings into three bands, elaborately carved with running foliage: the entrances to the chancel and chapels are through tall open doorways, the intervening spaces being arched and filled in with open tracery; the rood loft stairs remain in a turret adjoining the south chapel: the octagonal pulpit is an extremely fine and highly wrought work of the same period: the exterior is divided by crocketed pinnacles into a series of narrow divisions, each forming a tall canopied niche: the projecting desk frieze is enriched with carved foliage and the upper part of the base has alternating bands of moulding and carved work, surmounted by a trefoil cresting: in 1878-9 the nave roof was thoroughly restored at a cost of about £230, the roofs of the aisles and chapels re-constructed and an organ gallery formed above the rood screen, under the direction of John S. Quilter esq. F.R.I.B.A. of London, and a new organ provided at a cost of £265: the tower, which is groined in its lower stage, has a western entrance and a stair turret on the south side: there are sittings for 300 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Sutton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton, Long (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Long Sutton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.