Locking, a parish in Somerset, 3¼ miles from Weston-super-Mare station on the G.W.R., and 3 miles N of Banwell station on the Cheddar Valley branch of the G.W.R. It has a post office under Weston-super-Mare; money order and telegraph office, Banwell. Acreage, 1030; population, 127. The manor and much of the land belong to the Merchant Adventurers of Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £120 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1810, retains the tower of the previous edifice, comprises nave, aisle, transept, chancel, and porch, and contains a fine stone pulpit, and a curious old carved font. The tower is a beautiful specimen of 14th century work. The font is Anglo-Saxon, and one of the oldest in the kingdom. There are several stained glass windows in the church, three of them in memory of the Law family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Locking St. Augustine|
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Locking from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Locking (St. Augustine))
Online maps of Locking are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.