Litton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 5 miles SW of Clutton, and 4 from Hallatrow station on the G.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Chewton Mendip, under Bath. The parish contains also the hamlets of Greendown and Sherborn. Acreage, 1125; population, 214. Lillycombe is a seat in the neighbourhood. The reservoirs of the Bristol Waterworks are partly in this parish and partly in that of Hinton Blewett. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £240. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was erected in 1485, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Litton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Litton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Litton (St. Peter))
Online maps of Litton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.