Leigh Upon Mendip, Somerset
Leigh-upon-Mendip, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands under the E end of the Mendip Hills, 3 miles from Cranmore station on the G.W.R., and 5 W of Frome. Post town. Bath; money order and telegraph office, Coleford. The parish comprises 1435 acres; population, 480. The surface lies high, and culminates at 884 feet above sea-leveL The living is a vicarage; value, £150. The church is Later English, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with an ornate tower; it was restored in 1874, and during the alterations an altar-stone of Purbeck marble was discovered embedded about 18 inches under the floor. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Leigh-upon-Mendip St. Giles|
|Hundred||Mells and Leigh|
|Poor Law union||Frome|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leigh Upon Mendip from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Leigh-Upon-Mendip (St. Giles))
Online maps of Leigh Upon Mendip are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.