UK Genealogy Archives logo

Swavesey, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Swavesey (popularly Swasey), a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the Cambridge and Huntingdon branch of the G.E.R., on which it has a station, 3½ miles ESE of St Ives, 9 SE from Huntingdon, and 69 from London. It was once a place of some importance, and had A market and fair, but both have become obsolete. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Ives. The parish comprises 3982 acres; population, 1069. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. A Black alien priory was founded here in the time of the Confessor, and was given, by Richard II., to Coventry priory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church belonged to the priory, and is a building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, with aisles or chantries, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower. There are two Baptist chapels and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities are worth about £100 A year. Ockley, the Arabic scholar, was vicar.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSwavesey St. Andrew 
HundredPapworth 
Poor Law unionSt. Ives 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Swavesey from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Swavesey are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictSouth Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB24
Post TownCambridge