Langford Budville, Somerset
Langford Budville, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on a hill about a mile from the river Tone, 2 miles NW of Wellington station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Wellington; money order and telegraph office, Milverton. Acreage of parish, 1889; population, 340. The manor and much of the land belong to the Sanford family. Bindon House and Wellisford House are the chief residences. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells— gross value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Taunton. The church is Later English, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower containing six bells and a clock.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langford-Budville St. James|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Langford Budville 1607-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langford Budville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Langford-Budville (St. James))
Online maps of Langford Budville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.