Kittisford, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the Western Canal and the river Tone, near the boundary with Devon, 4 miles W by N of Wellington station on the G.W.R. Post town, Wellington. Acreage, 961; population, 103. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £170 with residence. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1875, and consists of nave, aisle, N chantry, and chancel, with porch and tower. Kitton. See KEDINGTON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kittisford St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kittisford 1695-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kittisford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kittisford (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Kittisford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online: