Kingston Seymour, Somerset
Kingston Seymour, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the coast, 2½ miles W of Yatton station on the G.W.R., and 3½ S by E of Clevedon. Post town, Yatton, Somerset. Acreage, 2664 of land and 347 of water and foreshore; population, 252. The manor house was built in the time of Edward IV., but has been restored and greatly modernised. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £390 with residence. The church was thoroughly restored in 1865, and comprises nave, aisle, chancel, and porch, with tower and small spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kingston-Seymour All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingston Seymour from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingston-Seymour (All Saints))
Online maps of Kingston Seymour are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.