UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kingsbury Episcopi, Somerset

Historical Description

Kingsbury Episcopi, a parish in Somerset, on the river Parret, 2¼ miles NW of Martock station on the G.W.R., and 4 SSE of Langport. It has a post office, of the name of Kingsbury, under Ilminster; money order and telegraph office, Martock; and it contains the tithings of Burrow, Lake, Stembridge, West Lambrook, and East Lambrook, and the hamlets of Middle Lambrook, Southay, and Thomey. Acreage, 3711; population, 1440. The manor belongs to W. Wyndham, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is of the time of Henry VII., was restored in 1845 and 1849, and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with porch and fine pinnacled tower. The rectory of East Lambrook is a separate benefice. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishKingsbury-Episcopi St. Martin 
HundredKingsbury 
Poor Law unionLangport 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kingsbury Episcopi 1557-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kingsbury Episcopi from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Kingsbury Episcopi are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSouth Somerset
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA12
Post TownMartock