Kilton, a parish in Somerset, on the coast, 7 miles from Williton station on the G.W.R. Post town, Kilve, under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Stogursey. Acreage, 1688 of land and 240 of water and foreshore; population of civil parish, 118; of the ecclesiastical, 172. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Lilstock annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £270. Patron, the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St Nicholas, was rebuilt in 1864, and has a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kilton St. Nicholas|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kilton 1683-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kilton (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Kilton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.