Kilmington, a parish in Somerset, adjacent to Wiltshire, and not far from Dorset, 3¼ miles SE of Witham station on the G.W.R., and 7 ENE of Broton. It includes the tithing of Norton Ferris, and has a post office under Bath; money order and telegraph office, Mere. Acreage, 2875; population, 369. Its name has been written'variously Cilemetone,. Cul-mington, and Kilmanton. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown; was given in the time of Edward I. to the family of Le Port; passed to the Hartgills, and belongs now to the Hoares. Alfred's Tower, with its historical associations, is within the parish. See ALFRED'S TOWER. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £400 with residence. The church was restored in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kilmington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Mere|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Kilmington 1705-1837, Somerset is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1538.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 2 bells: the chancel was rebuilt in 1864 and the church was restored in 1869 at a cost of £1,640, and in 1906 the tower was restored at a cost of £350, and two statues placed in niches on the south side: there are sittings for 300 persons.
Gospel Mission Hall
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kilmington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kilmington (St. Mary))
Online maps of Kilmington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The parish, originally in Somerset, was transferred to Wiltshire under the provisions of Section 54 of the "Local Government Act, 1888" (51 and 52 Vict. c. 41), by "Local Government Board's Provisional Orders Confirmation (No.3) Act, 1896" (59 and 60 Vict. c. 75), as from September 30, 1896, Order made March 23, 1896, numbered P. 1,226.
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.