Kenn or Ken, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, near the coast, 2 miles NNW of Yatton station on the G.W.R., and 11½ WSW of Bristol Post town, Yatton, Somerset. Acreage, 822; population of the civil parish, 268; of the ecclesiastical, 259. The manor belonged to the Kenns, one of whom was Bishop Kenn, of Bath and Wells, in the time of James II. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Yatton. The church was rebuilt in 1861, and consists of nave and chancel, with vestry, porch, and tower, and contains some ancient monuments. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kenn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kenn)
Online maps of Kenn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.