UK Genealogy Archives logo

Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Swaffham Bulbeck, a parish, with a village, in Cambridgeshire, 2½ miles NW from Bottesham station on the Cambridge and Mildenhall section of the G.E.R., and 6 WSW of Newmarket It has a post and money order office under Cambridge; telegraph office, Swaffham Prior. Acreage, 4110; population, 800. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Upper Hare Park is a chief residence. A Benedictine nunnery was founded at Swaffham Abbey before the time of King John by one of the Bulbeck family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £200 with residenc& Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church, erected in the 14th century, is chiefly in the Late Decorated style, with an Early English tower. There is an endowed school with £35 a year.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSwaffham-Bulbeck St. Mary 
HundredStaine 
Poor Law unionNewmarket 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Swaffham Bulbeck from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Swaffham Bulbeck are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictEast Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB25
Post TownCambridge