Hinton Charterhouse, Somerset
Charterhouse-Hinton, a parish in Somerset, on the verge of the county, near the Eidge Way, 2 miles S of Fresh-ford railway station, and 4¼ SSE of Bath, under which it has a post office; money order office, Norton St Philips; telegraph office, Freshford. Acreage, 2483; population, 622. A Carthusian priory was founded here in 1232 by Ela, Countess of Salisbury, and some remains of it, supposed to have been the chapter-house, the refectory, and the dormitory, still exist, Hinton Great Abbey House contains some fine paintings. Some Roman relics, including coins, pottery, and traces of an amphitheatre, have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £90. The parish abounds with freestone, which is suitable for building
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hinton-Charterhouse St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Bath|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hinton Charterhouse from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hinton-Charterhouse (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Hinton Charterhouse are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.