High Ham, Somerset
Ham or High Ham, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 3½ miles N of Langport station on the G.W.R., and has a post office, of the name of High Ham, under Langport; money order and telegraph office, Langport. The parish includes also the chapelry of Low Ham or Nether Ham, part of the tithing of Beer, the hamlet of Henley, the Langport Workhouse, and parts of the hamlets of Wagg and Paradise. Acreage, 5017; population, 989. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £410 with residence. Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The parish church is Perpendicular English, and consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. It was restored in 1870. There are three chapels in the parish- at High Ham, Low Ham (also a church), and Henley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||High Ham St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Ham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ham, High (St. Andrew))
Online maps of High Ham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.