Haslebury Plucknett, Somerset
Haselbury Plucknett, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 2 miles NNW of Crewkerne station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post and money order office under Crewkerne; telegraph office, Crewkerne. The parish comprises 2083 acres; population, 537. The manor belongs to Lord Portman. Freestone and limestone are quarried, and the manufacture of girths and haircloth is carried on. There are also extensive sawmills and brick and tile works. A hermit called Wulfric lived here in the time of Henry L, and is the subject of curious local legends. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £276 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was enlarged and reopened in 1839. It consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. St Walfric's aisle has two arches of the 12th century. There is a Bible Christian chapeL
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haslebury-Plucknett St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haslebury Plucknett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Haslebury-Plucknett (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.