Stow cum Quy, Cambridgeshire
Stow-cum-Quy, a parish in Cambridgeshire, with a station on the Cambridge and Mildenhall branch of the G.E.R., and 5 miles ENE of Cambridge. Post town, Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Bottisham. Acreage, 1879; population, 387. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor, with Quy Hall, belongs to the Francis family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £218 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is an ancient embattled building of flint in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Jeremy Collier was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stow cum Quy St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stow cum Quy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stow cum Quy (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stow cum Quy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.