UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hardington, Somerset

Historical Description

Hardington, a parish in Somerset, 5 miles NW by N of Frome station on the G.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Frome. Acreage, 860; population, 47. The manor belonged to Lord Poltimore, and had belonged to his ancestors, the Bampfyldes, for upwards of 450 years. Hardington Park is in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Hemington, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church was originally a private chapel of the Bampfyldes; consists of nave and chancel with a belfry, and was restored. .

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySomersetshire 
Ecclesiastical parishHardington St. Mary 
HundredKilmersdon 
Poor Law unionFrome 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hardington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Hardington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA11
Post TownFrome