Hambridge, a tithing in Curry Rivell parish, and a chapelry in Curry Rivell, Earnshill, Barrington, Puckington, and Isle Brewers parishes, Somerset. The tithing lies near the river Isle, 5 miles SW of Langport station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Taunton. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 538. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is in the Early English style, and has a tower. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Curry Rivell|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Langport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1844.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
The church of St. James is a building of stone in the Decorated style, erected in 1842, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, organ chamber and vestry, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: there is a stained window: the choir is separated from the nave by a low screen, bearing 30 lights: there are sittings for 300 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hambridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hambridge)
Online maps of Hambridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.