Flax Bourton, Somerset
Flaxbourton, a parish in Somerset, with a station on the G.W.K., 124 miles from London, and 5¼ WSW of Bristol. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (E.S.O.) Acreage, 630; population of the civil parish, 211; of the ecclesiastical, 211. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells y value, £86 with residence. The church has a fine doorway, and is very good; it was restored in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flax Bourton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bourton, Flax)
Online maps of Flax Bourton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.