Steeple Morden, Cambridgeshire
Steeple Morden, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, on the borders of Herts, 5 miles NW from Royston, and 3 NW from Ashwell station on the Hitchin, Royston, and Cambridge section of the G.N.R. There is a post office under Royston; money order and telegraph office, Guilden Morden. Acreage, 3846; population, 810. The manor belongs to the Earl of Hardwicke. Coprolites are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £475 with residence, in the gift of New College, Oxford. The church, which was restored in 1869, is a building of stone and flint in the Early English and Decorated styles. There is a Wesleyan chapel. North Brook End is a hamlet about 2 miles NE of the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Steeple Morden St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Steeple Morden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Morden, Steeple (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Steeple Morden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.