Exton, a parish in Somerset, on the river Exe, 8½ miles NNE of Dulverton station on the G.W.R. Post town, Dul-Terton. Acreage, 4230; population, 334. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £194. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1878. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Exton St. Peter|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Dulverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Exton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Exton (St. Peter))
Online maps of Exton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.