Exford, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village , stands on the river Exe, 11 miles NW by N of Dulverto½ station on the G.W.R., and has a post and money order office under Taunton; telegraph office, Porlock. The parish comprises 5956 acres; population, 430. Considerable tracts are diversified by deep vales and romantic hollows, and have many tumuli here called castles. About one-half of the entire area is waste. Vestiges of ancient ironworks occur about 1A- mile E of the church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £340 with residence. Patron, St Peter's College, Cambridge. The church has a lofty tower and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Exford St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Dulverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Exford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Exford (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Exford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.