English Combe, Somerset
Englishcome or Inglescombe (called Ink Conibe in Domesday Book), a parish in Somerset, on the Wans Dyke, adjacent to the G.W.R., near Twerton station, 2¼ miles SW of Bath. Post town, Bath; money order office, Holloway; telegraph office, Twerton. Acreage, 1838; population of the civil parish, 398; of the ecclesiastical, 426. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £165 with residence. Englishcome is part of the Duchy of Cornwall. There are remains of an old Norman castle in the village, only a green mound and the moat all round are left of it. The church is Norman and has some very interesting remains in it, viz., a Bambino in a very perfect condition, and leper squint and carved Norman work sedilia in the tower, besides 2 old piscinas. There is an old farmhouse and large tithe barn attached, near the church, which is said to have been a monastery belonging to Bath Abbey, and the barn was the monastery church. There are excellent remains of the high altar at the east end of the barn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bath|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for English Combe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Combe, English)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.