Elm, a parish in Somerset, on the Mells tributary of the river Frome, 3 miles W by N of Frome station on the G.W.R. It includes Little Elm hamlet, lying detached from the main body of the parish, which bears the name of Great Elm, and its post town is Frome; money order and telegraph office, Mells. Acreage, exclusive of Little Elm, whose acreage is returned with that of Whatley parish, 763; population, 289. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £170 with residence. The church is ancient, and has a fine Norman doorway. There is a small Weslevan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elm St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Frome|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elm from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elm (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.